Sandra Hultsved is an artist born 1989 in the deep forests of Sweden. She started to create art to escape the dark reality – a world in decay, of loneliness and melancholy. Like a form of therapy, the artworks convey thoughts and subconscious feelings that she could not express in any other way. Capturing the tragedy and melancholy in a beautiful way.
Sandra is self-taught mainly using graphite pencils, ink and oils. Her style can be described as imaginative-realism. With influences from both the old master’s classical techniques, modern dark artists, as well as her own imagination and experimentation with mediums. Nature – particularly the forests of Värmland, where she lives, is a huge source of inspiration. As well is her inside, after years of battling with depression. The forest is her safe haven to which she can flee to endure a little bit longer. The same goes for her art.
When Sandra started drawing back in her teenage years, she drew photorealistic portraits, learning to master the technique during just a few years, that became her breaking point. A few years later she took a new turn and started experimenting with different mediums, wanting to find her own voice again. She fell in love with ink. This medium allowed her to break free and start creating from her own mind. The roughness and dark feel of the ink suited her perfectly. Later to evolve towards oil painting.
Under the Shop menu you will find my online shop, where you can buy art prints and original artworks. You can also order directly from me by emailing your order.
In my Society6 shop you can find most of my artworks that will print on demand, or other merchandise such as phone cases and tote bags.
If you would like to order a commissioned artwork, you will find all the info you need to know under Commissions on the Info page.
Would you like to order an artwork by me from your own idea to hang on your wall, then you can make me do a commissioned artwork for you!
- Email me your idea or concept for the commissioned artwork. Helpful details are things like what subject/references, medium, size etc. Please take a look at what I’ve done before so you know it’s my alley (e.g. I don’t do tattoo commissions). I like challenges, but there’s a limit to what I feel comfortable doing.
- When I’ve gotten a clear view of what you want, we can decide on a price. For an overview of approx. prices, see below. I base the price on material costs and time spent. Shipping is not included. If you want the artwork to be framed, that can be added.
- I have to take 50% of the price as a non refundable deposit as security before I can start on anything. Then I will make a first draft and if you are happy with it I will continue finishing the artwork.
- When I’m done I will show you the results. One changing round is included in the price, for more changes after that 10% of the price will be added for each additional changing round.
- When you are happy with the results, you transfer the rest of the price, plus shipping cost. I accept Paypal or bank transfer. Then I will send you the finished artwork via mail to you.
This is how it works:
For any further questions, feel free to contact me!
Please note that commissioned work do NOT transfer copyright.
Here are some examples of what I can do:
(The prices may differ depending on what materials used, amount of detail and background work)
A4 paper, graphite pencils & ink pen (sketch)
A4 paper, graphite pencils, ink pen & ink
A3 watercolor paper & ink
EXHIBITIONS & PRESS
- ‘SilwerSteam - Nordic Steampunk Faire’ - Eskilstuna, Sweden - 1–3 September 2017
- Exhibition - Gamla Kraftstationen, Deje - 11 May–21 May 2017
- ‘Untamed Fauna’ fundraising exhibition - Alexi Era Gallery, Eugene, OR, USA - 16 Dec 2016
- ‘Mythical Mermaids’ group art show - La Bodega Gallery, San Diego, USA - 5 Oct 2016
- ‘Poisonous Flowers’ solo online exhibition - 10–24 Sep 2016
- ‘Beauties of the Night’ group exhibition - Alexi Era Gallery, Mascoutah, IL, USA - 24 Oct 2015
- ‘Fittkonst Sthlm’ group exhibition - Galleri Riddaren, Stockholm - 27 June–3 Jul 2015
- ‘Ateljé Dataspel’ group exhibition - National Museum of Science and Technology, Stockholm - 21 Feb–31 Aug 2015
- ‘Immagine e Lucet’ group exhibition - Galleria d‘arte Merlino, Florence, Italy - 1–13 Dec 2014
- ‘Fittkonst’ group exhibition - Gallery Femtopia, Stockholm - 19 Nov–19 Dec 2014
- Summer Exhibition - Gamla Kraftstationen, Deje - 31 May–13 Jul 2014
- ‘Fem grenar’ group exhibition - Partille Kulturum, Göteborg - 2013
- ‘Between life & fairytale’ solo exhibition - UNO, Karlstad - 2012
- Exhibition at Krom-festival - Karlstad - 2012
- Exhibition - Vänersborg - 2012
- The Sketchbook Project - The Brooklyn Art Library, Brooklyn, NY, USA - 2011
- Exhibition UKM, local, provincial & national final, 2009
- ‘Thorns of a rose’ solo exhibition - UNO, Karlstad - 2008
- NUMiNOUS Magazine Black&White - 2016
- VOLITION Magazine issue 6 - 2016
- Bleaq.com art blog - 2015
- Gothic.life lifestyle blog - 2015
- ArtJunky art & design magazine - 2014
- Templum magazine #5 - 2013
- THEmag online magazine - 2012
- Twofold magazine #2 - 2011
Previous freelance work:
‘Fem Grenar’, 2013
Designed exhibition poster.
Designed a text based logotype and illustrated mascots.
Illustrated two postcard motives.
Technikult of Flesh, 2011
Illustrated cover artwork for their album.
Illustrated a cover artwork.
Overhate’s album ‘Relentless is our Strength’, 2010
Illustrated cover artwork and designed a booklet for their album.
Achilla, CD-cover contest, ‘Timeless’, 2010
Illustrated cover artwork.
- Received a Daily Deviation at Deviantart.com for my artwork ‘I can not escape my winter storm’.
- Received a Daily Deviation at Deviantart.com for my artwork ‘Beaktande en ros’, with the motivation “Beaktande en ros by Sandra Hultsved embraces an important social problem in a well executed manner, giving attention to every detail.”.
- ‘Among shadows’ got an award from the deviantART.com group Kingdom of Sweden with the motivation: “A beautiful fanart of a beautiful game: Sandra Hultsved has in her own unique way given life to the main character in Child of Light. With subtlety and fragility in medium and in hand the atmosphere and mood is built up, both from the original game and as a work of its own. The icing on the cake is the discreet, but in its surroundings, distinct dash of red color which makes it extra enchanting.”
- Received a Daily Deviation at Deviantart.com for my artwork ‘You are never alone’, with the motivation “Delicate and highly atmospheric drawing”.
- Scholarship for highest diploma at Broby Grafiska – College of Cross Media.
- Received a Daily Deviation at Deviantart.com for my artwork ‘The bride’, with the motivation “The artist brings the viewer right into a eerie atmosphere where one can feel the vulnerability of the delicate bride.”.
- Daily feature at Shadowness.com for my artworks ‘Forsaken place’ & ‘The screaming girl’.
- Featured portfolio at Shadowness.com
- Award from Kingdom of Sweden for my artworks ‘Amanita virosa’ & ‘Whisper’.
- ‘Paranoia’ won 1st place in Zindy S.D. Nielsen's ‘Red Riding Hood Contest’ & in the group JustATouchOfColor's ‘Fairytales Contest’.
- ‘Nocturnal Deception’ won 1st place in Zindy S.D. Nielsen's ‘Vampire contest’.
Graphite pencils, ink, charcoal, oilpaint, watercolor, Photoshop, Wacom tablet, Illustrator & Indesign. Cover artwork, illustrations, portrait, design, layout, typography, photoretouch/-manipulation.
Lasse Åberg (artist, actor, film director and musician) says:
“Very nice illustrations. They remind me of the artist Edward Gorey”
Natalie Shau (World famous digital artist) says:
Lars Lerin (Scandinavia’s leading watercolorist) says:
“Hello Sandra! It was nice seeing your art, many very nice. All luck to you in the future, warm greetings Lars”
Armin Mersmann (Master of hyper-realism) says:
“Good luck to you, you do great work! Armin”
Awards & competitions